The Glen Hotel & Suites is the realisation of a dream held by the Fitzgibbons family, to add accommodation to complement their award-winning venue.
The Glen was bought back in 1960 by Brian and Elaine Fitzgibbons, who lived and worked in the hotel with their nine children. Throughout the years the family has continually upgraded and renovated the Hotel to keep up with the ever changing needs of the community.
The Fitzgibbons’ family name is synonymous with Hotels in South East Queensland. In addition to “The Glen” the family has owned and operated numerous other venues including “Fitzy’s Loganholme”, “Fitzy’s Waterford”, “The Kirabelle” (now “The Port O’Call”), “The Southport Hotel”, “The Central Hotel” in Toowoomba and “The Daniell Hotel” in George Street Brisbane.
Why is it called The Glen?
In 1927, two Scottish sisters Mary-Jane McCamey and Emma O’Sullivan took over the hotel and changed its name to “The Glen”, because the undulating countryside reminded them of the area in Scotland where they were born.
Where it All Began
The Glen has a long and colourful history and is amongst the oldest, continuously trading licensed premises in Queensland. In 1863 Charles Baker bought the land on which “The Glen” stands today. He was granted a publicans’ license on December 12, 1865 and Bakers Hotel was officially opened for trade. “Bakers Hotel” became “The Eight Mile Plains Hotel” sometime in the early 1870’s.
By 1875 Cobb & Co. coaches stopped daily at “The Eight Mile Plains Hotel” on their way from Brisbane to Southport. Cobb & Co. coaches changed horses every ten miles and because of the permanently flowing Bulimba Creek this hotel became an obvious destination to establish a Change-station. At every change-station, Cobb & Co. built booking offices and stables. The Hotel provided hot meals and cold ale for the passengers, while fresh horses were being harnessed.